The expressions of psychological trauma can be frightening and confusing, both for the survivor and those around them. Whether you share a romantic, platonic, or family relationship with a trauma survivor, the impact can cause conflict. You may feel exhausted, experience compassion fatigue, and even feel resentment. These experiences are normal. Some examples of the ways trauma reveals itself follow.
- Engaging in self-destructive behaviors
- Memory and concentration problems
- Flashing back or reliving the trauma
- Experiencing depression
- Developing compulsions
- Having suicidal thoughts
- Punishing themselves
- Abusing substances
- Losing confidence
- Disordered eating
Trauma and Relationships:
- Trauma can amplify emotions and make it seem impossible to communicate effectively.
- Fearing conflict and not expressing their wants, needs, and preferences
- Lingering doubt about a partner’s love and faithfulness
- Difficulty accepting love, despite repeated reassurance
- Heightened reactions to common relationship issues
- Survivors often believe no one can be trusted
- Withdrawal or distant, unresponsive behavior
- Assuming they’re unworthy of love
- Intimacy often feels dangerous
- Believing they are crazy
- Lose sexual desires
Over my 17 years as a therapist, I became a specialist in treating psychological trauma. For the next leg of my career, I have moved my practice online. Treating individuals for psychological trauma online has significant limitations, so instead, I have decided to bring my experience and expertise in supporting those who are allies for trauma survivors.
My coaching will provide you with a deeper understanding of trauma. I will help you learn the tools and strategies to take care of yourself while you support the trauma survivor. It’s common to have issues triggered when you witness someone you love in so much pain, and I’ll teach you to cope with that.
I will help you along the way as you survive together, paving the way for you to thrive together.
Let’s talk about how I can help.
Start with your complimentary phone consultation appointment